Rudder cable covers

I didn't quite like the metal cover that most people use for the rudder cables - mainly, because they're too small and tight around the cable sleeve, and they're too short to stop water from getting inside the tailcone, so we used those as a rough model to make our own from fiberglass:

Molds for layup, made from the smaller metal cable covers

Molds, fiberglass and peel ply ready for layup

Laying fiber for the cable covers

Applying peel ply while keeping the layup shape

After cutting, the general shape was good, but the cable was still a bit too close to the aft portion in its extreme position:

Cable covers after initial layup and cutting

Cable coming out of the cable cover

Cable sitting pretty close to the cover in its extreme position

so in order to be able to sand the inside of that aft portion, we added another couple layers of fiber to the outside:

Laying up additional fiber layers on the outside of the cable covers

Added few holes, countersunk them, adjusted the angle so the cable goes right down its center, and it sits perfectly:

Cable covers with countersunk holes for attachment

Left cable cover clecoed to the tailcone, with cable running down its center

Right cable cover clecoed to the tailcone, with cable running down its center

After that was the usual finishing work - fill, sand, fill, sand:

Cable covers with a resin layer for filling holes

Cable covers after fine sanding

Once it was smooth enough, I finally primed it (and the portion of the tailcone where it sits) and riveted it in place:

Cable covers with primer applied

Tailcone primed for the cable cover

Rudder cable cover riveted in place

Time lapse:

Total rudder pedal and brake rivets: 8
Total rudder pedal and brake time: 20.1h

No comments:

Post a Comment