Interior panels accessory progress

I attached the Aerosport pocket cover, using a ruler to keep it flush with the inboard surfaces, and then the cupholder per the instructions (but using locking nuts behind them instead):

Pocket with holes for attachment

Pocket held flush with the inboard surfaces for match-drilling

Pocket and cupholder installed

Pocket and cupholder attachment nuts

I installed the rear vents by first taping the akward-fitting duct to the skin, then opening up the holes on the interior panels to match:

Vent duct taped in place

Interior panel with hole lining up with the vent duct

Interior panels with vents installed

I then aligned and drilled holes for the vent levers, to ensure their aftmost position would shut the vent:

Vent arm attached to vent slides

Vent arm aligned with vent

I also installed most covers on the aft section of the fuselage, since those were done anyway:

Rear seat and baggage areas fully covered

Closed baggage area inspection plate

Time lapse:

Total access cover and floor panel rivets: 596
Total access cover and floor panel time: 50.7h

Wheel fairing attachment

I sanded the nose wheel fairing gap fills to remove all the excess resin:

Sanded nose wheel fairing gap fills

then final-drilled and countersunk the fairing attachment holes:

Fairing attachment holes countersunk for tinnerman washers

While sanding the gap fills inside the fairing, I got carried away with the Dremel and, not seeing the surface due to the generated dust, ended up poking another hole through the fairing - oops - so I had to patch that up (used 2 layers of fiber on each side of it):

Unintended hole, sanded for patching

I then final-drilled the wheel fairing joint holes and installed all the nutplates that hold the halves together, countersinking for tinnerman washers:

Wheel fairing with joint nutplates installed

Main wheel fairing held together with screws and tinnerman washers

Now that the wheel fairing alignment and rilling is completed, I also removed the main fairing brackets to provide additional clearance from the gear leg, and drilled and countersunk all the nutplate attachment holes:

Main wheel fairing attachment bracket, trimmed to provide clearance from the gear leg

Fairing attachment brackets, with nutplate holes countersunk

Besides the nose leg fairing, now there's only some finishing work to do on this section, notably the joint to the intersection fairings, touching up the primer on those brackets, installing the bracket nutplates and installing the tug guards.

Time lapse:

Total wheel fairing rivets: 108
Total wheel fairing time: 84.4h

Gear leg and nose wheel fairing progress

We aligned the leg fairings and started match-drilling the intersection fairings:

Aligning the gear leg fairing with a laser and plumb bob

Intersection fairing around aligned gear leg fairing

Both intersection fairings match-drilled around aligned gear leg fairing

At this point, it became clear how bad the Vans molds really are - the top ones don't even sit flush when clecoed at two points, and I was still going to have to add more fiberglass layers and finish them - so I stopped and bought the RVBits ones :) those weren't perfect, but were a bit better and were definitely well finished:

Match-drilled RVBits intersection fairing

Match-drilled and enclosed intersection fairing

To bond the bottom intersection fairings to the wheel fairings, we sanded the wheel fairings underneath it, then used resin and flox:

Sanding intersection fairing bonding area

Sanded intersection fairing bonding area

Bonded intersection fairing

Aft wheel and split intersection fairing after bonding

Forward wheel and split intersection fairing after bonding

We then continued with the nose wheel fairing, by filling the gaps around the screws, which was again more challenging than it looks due to the enclosed space:

Filling gaps inside the nose gear fairing

The above obviously gave poor results, but that was then easy to fix on the bench, now that we had a minimal barrier to tighten the screws against:

Nose gear fairing with gaps partially filled

Filling remaining nose gear fairing gaps

Nose gear fairing brackets with re-filled gaps

I also countersunk the tug guards for riveting:

Tug guards with countersunk holes

Next is the nose gear leg fairing and finishing of the nose wheel fairing and intersection fairings.

Time lapse:

Total wheel fairing rivets: 60
Total wheel fairing time: 69.7h