Panel assembly and more wiring surgery

I riveted the VP-X attachment extension, then attached the essential bus bar to the panel substrate, right next to where the circuit breakers sit:

Essential bus bar attached to panel substrate

Continuing with the wire harness surgery, I was worried about having enough space for all the wires and cables in the conduit to the overhead console. The Mountain High EDS-4IP (oxygen system) had four 4-wire shielded cables which was kinda bulky, but 2 wires in each of those were power and ground, so I checked in with them and they told me it's fine to run a single power and ground unshielded pair to all of them (since they'll be in the same general area), so I took all of those out and will replace them with four 2-wire shielded cables which seems a lot easier to fit. On the cable to the tank valve, SteinAir also hadn't run a wire for the regulator pressure sensor (controller pin 20 to valve pin 8), so I reused one of the 4-wire cables to do that (replacing the previous 3-wire they used for the tank valve):

Reworking the Mountain High tank valve and distributor wires

I wired the battery fault LEDs, by adding Molex SL connectors (so they can be easily removed from the panel, and splicing the main harness wire that went from the GEA24 to the batteries to connect those:

Battery fault LEDs with Molex SL connectors attached

Battery fault wires attached in place

Last but not least, of the 4 wire bundles that connect to the GEA24, 3 (J241, J243, J244) have some or all wires that need to go into the main harness, so I bundled them all into a single harness and routed the wires to the right exit point, while also adding the EFII connections (RPM, fuel flow, fuel pressure, AFR) and removing an unnecessary Molex connector between the bundles:

GEA24 bundle including most of the J243 and J244 connector wires

(J242 only connects to the engine sensors, so I kept that one separate, and also left other wires that will go into the engine compartment outside the bundle)

Next I need to rework the fuse block wires, and then I can finally mount the bundle into the panel again, this time figuring out attachment points and re-doing the lacing (though there are still a few details/wires to figure out, like what I'll do about yaw trim). I can also probably start running the side wire bundles in the airplane (and adjusting/trimming their sleeving since they'll be mostly inside conduits).

Time lapse:

Total avionics rivets: 59
Total avionics time: 55.5h

No comments:

Post a Comment